A Bit 'o Random Musings on Politics, Religion, and Anything Else That Passes Through My Crazy Head

Monday, December 26, 2011

Navigating Charity

As your friendly neighborhood tax accountant, let me inform you that you have only six days left to donate to charity and deduct it on your 2011 tax return!  In honor of that, I'm going to feature some of my favorite charities over the next few days.  Even if you don't itemize deductions (and therefore don't get a tax benefit from charitable donations), you can still donate to awesome charities and help save the world.

Before we begin, here are some tips from the IRS about gift giving.  Also, I generally like to make sure that my charity dollars are effective.  I like to donate to charities that spend a small percentage of their money on administrative tasks like fundraising, etc.  I personally don't like to donate to charities that pay a bloated salary to their CEO.  Sites like Charity Navigator, GiveWell, and GuideStar provide information about charities and ratings to help you donate to the most effective charity for your dollar.  Over the next couple of days I'll feature charities I like and provide links to their sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment