A Bit 'o Random Musings on Politics, Religion, and Anything Else That Passes Through My Crazy Head

Friday, December 2, 2011

Tell all the Truth

One of the things I'm learning as I study light in the scriptures is that light is often used as a metaphor for truth.  More on that another day, for now, here's a poem by Emily Dickinson about light and truth:

Tell all the Truth but tell it slant -
Success in Circuit lies
Too bright for our infirm Delight
The Truth's superb surprise
As lightening to the Children eased
With explanation kind
The Truth must dazzle gradually
Or every man be blind --

Do you think that's true?  Do we need to be eased into truth so that it won't blind us?  Or can we adjust to handle it once it's granted to us suddenly?


Random note: If I was a writer, I would love to write a book comparing and contrasting Eliza R. Snow and Emily Dickinson - both born in Massachusetts and both became poetesses.  Unfortunately we accountants don't have much writing ability!

3 comments:

  1. It certainly seems to be the way God does it: "Line upon line, precept upon precept"

    I guess it all just depends on what kind of truth we're talking about and what context. But I think it's definitely the case that the complete honest truth can be destructive in certain situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to ask "what is truth?" God's truth is one thing but what we think is truth is often just opinion and we think it is the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like so often the adult answer is "it depends." Sigh. True, but I want moral absolutes!!!

    ReplyDelete