A Bit 'o Random Musings on Politics, Religion, and Anything Else That Passes Through My Crazy Head

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Love is a Many Splendored Thing


I know, I know.  Today is the day I’m supposed to fit the stereotype of a shrewish, bitter single woman simply because I’m single.* It’s the day when I’m required by every movie convention to drown my sorrows in chocolate.  But in reality, for today at least, I think it’s wonderful that we have a whole holiday celebrating love.  To quote from South Pacific, one of my favorite Broadway musicals, “love is a grand and beautiful thing.”  Love is great, and you don’t have to be “in a relationship” to give or receive love. 

True story: one day I was carrying in some heavy groceries, and thinking to myself, in a self-pitying kind of way, “I wish I had a boyfriend/husband to carry these in for me.”  Literally at that moment, a friend came up behind me and started to help carry the groceries.  I’m grateful for the love of my friends and family, who help me carry burdens even though I am too independent to ask for help.  I’m grateful for the love of my Heavenly Father and Mother.  I’m grateful for the ultimate love of Jesus Christ and his self-sacrifice for all of us. 

So, I wish you all a very happy Valentine’s day!  If you are in a relationship, do something kind and loving for your boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife.  If you’re not, take time to tell your friends you love them!  And remember, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence – we single people long to be married and some married people long to be single:


Love who you are!  Be happy and have JOY J


*Actually, I’m shrewish and bitter 365 days a year, ‘cause I’m a feminist – ba doop ching!  Kidding!  Mostly.

No comments:

Post a Comment