A Bit 'o Random Musings on Politics, Religion, and Anything Else That Passes Through My Crazy Head

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Molly-ness

On this blog I've blogged about being Mormon, and a Democrat, but I don't think I've blogged about my "molly-ness" before.  Urban dictionary defines a "molly mormon" thusly: "A female member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon) who fits the stereo type of the goody-goody Mormon. She's very devoted to the Church standards. Can be used both negatively and positively."

Sometimes the term really denotes a goody-two-shoes type of Mormon who is self-righteous.  When I chose the blog title "Molly Mormon Democrat," it wasn't because I am particularly righteous or because I think myself better than the average Mormon (those of you who know me, know the contrary is true).  I think of a molly Mormon more as a "average" Mormon.  Garrison Keillor likes to joke that in Lake Woebegon "all the children are above average."  Yet I've met many average Mormons, and I love them.

Average Mormons, are the salt of the earth.  They can (and often are) typical, normal people who can also be extraordinarily kind and giving.  That's the type of "average" Mormon I want to be.  Being that type of Mormon has nothing to do with political affiliation, and everything to do with the great "change of heart" that is required to move aside our selfish selves and love others sincerely.

Reminds me of a scene from my favorite TV show, "The West Wing."  Some presidential staffers are arguing about a poll question which labels the person taking the poll as "average:"

JOSH LYMAN: "When making policy decisions, do you think that President Bartlet puts the needs of average people first?" "Average people" is a pejorative phrase and occurs about six times in the polling model.

 C.J. CREGG: This may come as a shock to you, but 80% of the people in this country would use the word "average" to describe themselves. They do not find the term deprecating. Indeed, being considered an "average American" is something they find to be positive and comforting.


Indeed, being an average Mormon is something I find positive and comforting.  It doesn't mean we are perfect, but it does mean we have good company in our quest to be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment