A Bit 'o Random Musings on Politics, Religion, and Anything Else That Passes Through My Crazy Head

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Railing for Railing

I think it's some kind of syndrome when you look back at the "good old days."  Whoever thought I would be saying that about the 2000's?  But it seems that, for whatever, reason, this election has been exceedingly negative already. I'm sure the general election will be even worse!  The Washington Post had an article about how negative the campaign is, so I guess there is some empirical evidence to validate my "good old days" syndrome.  I was reminded of this by a scripture I heard quoted this morning in church:

Some were lifted up in pride, and others were exceedingly humble; some did return railing for railing, while others would receive railing and persecution and all manner of afflictions, and would not turn and revile again, but were humble and penitent before God. (3 Nephi 6:13)

Why don't we value this type of behavior in our politicians?  Every politician of the current era seems to be the kind that would "return railing for railing" - ratcheting up the negativity until it's a wonder we don't see the debates turn into a blood-bath (especially with all the love of guns that goes on in the Republican debates...but that's probably another post).  I think it probably has something to do with the process - no decent person wants to be subject to all this negativity, so it's a reinforcing cycle.  How can we encourage this type of behavior?  Should we be seeking or expecting this type of humble attitude from our presidential candidates?  

No comments:

Post a Comment