A Bit 'o Random Musings on Politics, Religion, and Anything Else That Passes Through My Crazy Head

Friday, April 13, 2012

Take a Deep Breath

My facebook feed has both liberals and conservatives, so it's always funny when one side or the other makes a ridiculous remark.  Those disagreeing with the political views of the person who made the remark instantly ascribe the most vicious and sinister motives to all members of the speaker's political party or persuasion.  This has been true this week, as the comments of Democratic strategist Hilary Rosen have been under fire for saying that "Ann Romney has never worked a day in her life."*

But for me, this remark, and the accompanying charges that Democrats hate stay-at-home moms, are so utterly ridiculous.  The difference is that this is ONE remark, which was widely condemned - by Michelle Obama, David Axelrod, and many others, while the Republicans have engaged in some actual policies that harm women.  The real question is, which party is supporting policies that matter to women and really make a difference in their lives for the better?  Hmmm....let's see.

Pay Equity
Republicans opposed the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay act, which gives women more time to sue employers who discriminate against them by paying them less.  The Democratic congress passed it and Barack Obama signed it into law in 2009.  Republicans in Wisconsin recently repealed legislation that allowed punitive damages in cases of gender discrimination.  I'm sorry, but unless we make it painful for employers to pay women less, they're going to keep doing it.  Right now women make 77 cents to every dollar a man makes.  This is wrong, and I'm with the Democrats - we need to stop it.

My Body
Recent attempts by many Republican legislatures have led to proposed laws requiring women to have ultrasounds before having an abortion.  In some cases, this would require a transvaginal probe inserted into a women's body.  This, from a party allegedly based on personal liberty.  No thank you, I'm old enough to make my own medical decisions.

I don't have the time to blog about all the issues I see regarding women.  But until the Republicans start supporting paid family leave, reduced work requirements for poor moms on welfare, or government policies helping women who work with childcare, I think it's disingenuous at best to suggest that one remark by a Democratic strategist constitutes a war on women.  So, everyone just take a deep breath - Democrats like myself do NOT hate stay-at-home moms or think that they're freeloaders.  I'm grateful my own mom made the choice to stay home with us crazy kids and raise us right.  But the point is, it was her choice - we need to support women who make a different choice too.  Hooray for moms!  They're awesome!



*For the record, I think Rosen was quoted out of context - she was saying that Ann Romney doesn't understand the concerns of those women who have to work a paid job while raising kids.  But I know I'm not going to win that battle, because any remark can be taken out of context and blown out of proportion.  So we'll just deal with it on it's face.

No comments:

Post a Comment