A Bit 'o Random Musings on Politics, Religion, and Anything Else That Passes Through My Crazy Head

Monday, July 9, 2012

What Kind of Country Do We Want?

Over the past week, I visited Texas, and got a glimpse of the Alamo, the bats of Congress bridge, and even a buffalo.  The highlight for my staunchly Democratic family was a visit to the ranch of Lyndon B. Johnson.  It was really neat, and if I was a picture taker I would post pictures.  But I'm not.  So I'll just tell you what I liked about LBJ.  He was not afraid to dream big and imagine our country better than it is.  Visiting his ranch made me think about what kind of country I want to live in.  Here's the kind of country I want, in President Johnson's words:

"In a land of great wealth, families must not live in hopeless poverty.  In a land rich in harvest, children must not go hungry.  In a land of healing miracles, neighbors must not suffer and die untended.  In a great land of learning and scholars, young people must be taught to read and write."  - Lyndon B. Johnson, Inaugural Address, January 20, 1965

True, I don't yet know how to achieve it, or what my role in bringing it to pass will be.  But at least I know where I want to go!

Watch President Johnson's inaugural speech in 1965 here:



(Note that I haven't yet watched the whole thing - looks like his speech starts after about 14 minutes of video.  Also I love the look his wife gives him right after he's sworn in, a kind of "now you better know what you're doing" look - right before the 14 minute mark)

No comments:

Post a Comment