A Bit 'o Random Musings on Politics, Religion, and Anything Else That Passes Through My Crazy Head

Thursday, November 8, 2012

My Mom = Awesome. Me = Not So Much.

Enough of the politics.  It's time for a little self-gradulation/flagellation.  This post could be titled like one of my favorite blog posts of all time.  That was from another NaBloPoMo blogger, Anna, entitled "In Which I am awesome, not awesome, but eventually awesome again" (Anna, if you are reading this, I hope you don't think I'm stalking you...I just love reading your blog 'cause it is hilarious and lovely.  Also, check out blogs from Austin and Anne, also doing NaBloPoMo this year.  Apparently your name has to start with an "A."  Also, I use "also" way too much.  And parentheses.).

In Which...I am Awesome
I had an awesome idea for my parents' 30th wedding anniversary.  I would make them a quilt, and have a bunch of their friends make squares.  Okay, it was going to be my mom's friends.  But still, I thought it would be heartwarming and they would enjoy it.  So, using my best Tom-Cruise-Mission-Impossible impression, I broke into my mom's email and stole the email addresses for a bunch of her friends and relatives.  I emailed them and asked if they would be willing to help.  And yes, I was so on top of it - I emailed them all about 2 1/2 months before my parents anniversary.  I bought a bunch of fabric (hid it in my car trunk, because I was still living with my parents) and mailed each quilter a bunch of fabric so they could make a square, along with instructions on size.

With one month til my parents anniversary, I had received many of the squares and I started planning the quilt.  Aided and abetted by my visiting teacher and her roommate, who let me sew at their house, I managed to sew together the quilt just in time for the actual day of their anniversary.  Here is a picture of the cutest couple in the world and their quilt.

The Lovebirds on their 30th Anniversary (ignore the date on the photo - completely wrong)
Pretty Epic, right?  Actually...

In Which...I am a Lazy Bum
The quilt may look good from afar, but it was actually pinned together (be wvery wvery careful opening presents from me).  The top layer was sown together, but the back and batting was pinned on.  Despite taking a secret day off of work to sew all day at my visiting teacher's house, I was unable to finish by the actual date of the anniversary.  Then, the quilt sat.  And sat.  And sat some more.  My mom would gently nudge me occasionally.  "Maybe we should set up the quilt?"  She would look at me quizzically.  Time passed.  I moved out of my parents house, went on international vacations, and never seemed to have time to finish what I've started.  Until...

In Which...My Mom is Awesome
Eventually my mom wised up to the fact that I am procrastinator extraordinaire, and set up the quilt on her quilting frame and just started.  Over the past two months, she hand-quilted a bunch of hearts onto the quilt, and with literally 5% help from me, finished the quilt that was an alleged "gift."  Today she told me that she had finished, and the quilt is finally hanging in my parents house.  My parents will shortly celebrate their 33rd anniversary.  Yep, three years.  Thanks, Mom, for being awesome, patient, and the BEST!

No comments:

Post a Comment