A Bit 'o Random Musings on Politics, Religion, and Anything Else That Passes Through My Crazy Head

Monday, September 9, 2013

'Merica

In middle school and high school, I knew a girl who was perpetually happy - she never seemed to have a bad day.  Admittedly, she annoyed the living daylights out of me most of the time.  I used to think it was just an act, that no one could genuinely be that happy ALL THE TIME!  But as I got to know her, I realized that was just her default mode.  She was a modern day Pollyanna who could see the good in any situation.

As I've grown older, I realized I'm probably more like her than I care to admit.  I do look on the bright side and tend to (over?)emphasize the positive side of things.  Of course I readily admit that there is evil in the world, and truly heinous people who commit unspeakable crimes.  But there are also people who are good, and who try to do the right thing.  That's what I love about the video below, which is about ordinary people doing good and helping others, even in the face of devastating evil.  It's not limited to Americans, of course, but I do love these Americans and what they represent.  'Merica, baby.

"Boatlift, An Untold Story of American Resilience," Narrated by Tom Hanks

Meanwhile, I'll be over here, crying all the tears...

1 comment: